Welcome to OsmoPilots.com
Join your fellow DJI Osmo users!

Comparable to GoPro?

TP Nolt

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has GoPro cams? If you do how do they compare?
Any info is appreciated
Thanks. TP

I dont have an OA yet but waiting for more reviews and to win the free one (hint)
But It seems to tick some boxes. especially the H.264 codex. My pc can`t handle the H.265 in my gopro so if I want 4k
I have to convert it anyway. Which I am not sure the best way and I am sure my results have lowered the quality.
But 4k from my mavic air works great on my pc. Playback, editing rendering works like a charm.
So I am guessing I will get the same results from OA..

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has GoPro cams? If you do how do they compare?
Any info is appreciated
Thanks. TP
I have both the Osmo Action and the Hero 7 Black. The Osmo Action is by far better IMHO. The only thing the OA is missing is the option for an external microphone, but DJI is promising that very soon.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Is the mic on the osmo action better?

Is the mic on the osmo action better?
Both mics are not good. I always use an external mic on the GoPro, and for now I use a Tascam DR-05 with a lavaliere mic with the Osmo Action and sync the audio in post. The audio adapter for the Osmo Action should be out in the next few weeks from what I've heard.

Reactions: Roslad
Yeah I saw a video where Casey Neistat was showing off the GoPro hero 7 and when water gets in the mic, it sounds bad.

Osmo action is really bad at times under water too, not always. My hero 6 did a much better job underwater.
Good to know. I'll have to search youtube for some underwater comparison vids between the GP7 and OA.
Also about the mic, in my experience anytime you make it waterproof the microphone suffers.

Both mics are not good. I always use an external mic on the GoPro, and for now I use a Tascam DR-05 with a lavaliere mic with the Osmo Action and sync the audio in post. The audio adapter for the Osmo Action should be out in the next few weeks from what I've heard.
Well, reading these "older" threads - a few weeks has morphed into a few months and ....Fortunately, for me, I don't blog and don't need an external mic but it is a sad situation for those who really want it.

I'm looking at a DJI Osmo Action or Gopro 7/8 to use on a chest mount on a mountain bike, I normally use a gimbal but it's too wet and mucky this time of year and I'm fed up with the Virb 360 being chronically unreliable.

What concerns me about the GoPro 7 Black is that their support forum shows a lot of people with very similar issues with the battery and device being unreliable. I've been keeping an eye out for feedback on the GoPro 8 and it seems similar already, I find professional reviews tend to focus on features and not on day to day usage and reliability.

I've no interest in a camera that's unreliable so I'm wondering how reliable the Osmo action is?

I'm looking at a DJI Osmo Action or Gopro 7/8 to use on a chest mount on a mountain bike, I normally use a gimbal but it's too wet and mucky this time of year and I'm fed up with the Virb 360 being chronically unreliable.

What concerns me about the GoPro 7 Black is that their support forum shows a lot of people with very similar issues with the battery and device being unreliable. I've been keeping an eye out for feedback on the GoPro 8 and it seems similar already, I find professional reviews tend to focus on features and not on day to day usage and reliability.

I've no interest in a camera that's unreliable so I'm wondering how reliable the Osmo action is?
I've not seriously stressed out the Action but have mounted it on my road bike handlebars and it has preformed quite well. I've posted a video where I accidently caught the shift/brake lever in the edge of the frame. You can see if bouncing and shaking while the image straight ahead is pretty darn stable. I've also taking it hiking but have hand held it at arms length and it really does a good job of stabilizing the images. I get about an hour plus of battery life.

I should play with mounting it on the chest or head since I hike with poles and in unstable terrain or recently the steep stairs of the Great Wall of China, I stop filming it the ground surface gets sketchy. Chest probably would not work well as the hands/poles would probably be in the frame. Head, well, it seems dorky! (g) But maybe I will try it when cross-country skiing picks up again in the next month.

(road bike)

(Great Wall)

(hiking Mt Rainier)

Reactions: JohnMcL7

My GoPro 7 has been pretty reliable. I think maybe 1 or 2 times it has overheated and shut off, but that was while it was laying in direct summer sunlight for quite a while. You can get 3rd party batteries for it from Amazon for dirt cheap. I always have like 5-6 spare batteries on hand and it keeps me filming all day. When I travel I mount it to the rental car and literally record for hours, swapping a battery every 45-60 minutes (depending on how I'm filming. 4k vs timelapse)

Reactions: JohnMcL7
There's not much to choose between the hero 8 and Action so far as I can see.
Osmo menu systems is mostly a lot better in fact it's the best I've seen on any camera (thinking of you Sony)
Gopro might have the edge on dynamic range - can be easily tweaked to look comparable when editing.

Not that I have the Hero8. I bought a Hero 4 some years back and it had endless problems the worst being constant crashes where you had to take it out of the case and pull the battery - next to useless when mounted on a helmet too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0Sal