Welcome to OsmoPilots.com
Join your fellow DJI Osmo users!

Filming underwater landscapes in the Pacific Northwest

Reaction score
I filmed this video mostly using the Osmo action, dunking it into local streams, rivers, ponds and lakes to capture the strange landscapes beneath the water. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I plan on making more aquatic videos like this.

Reactions: Tauchloewe and ff22
I enjoyed that, well done. Can I ask your settings for underwater? and how you edit underwater clips, I am never happy with mine? cheers.

TERRIFIC. Now, I, too, have a few questions. Camera on a selfie-stick of some kind? Just the bare camera and no underwater housing? I know that you warn you about sudden immersion or heavy splashing but you had it in some turbulent water. Again, GREAT. Shooting blind or did you have it transmitting to a phone/tablet using whatever that app is called (g)

Thanks to both of you!

I enjoyed that, well done. Can I ask your settings for underwater? and how you edit underwater clips, I am never happy with mine? cheers.
For the calm water shots I filmed in 4k at 60fps, in the turbulent water shots I filmed in 1080p at 240fps - I didn't change any other settings from auto/default.

For editing I'm using Adobe Premiere - I create the video at 4k 30fps, so I slow the 4k 60fps footage down to 1/2 speed, the 1080p 240fps goes down to 1/8 speed (I also scale that up to 4K). I edit the contrast/vibrance/saturation on a per-clip basis, and I used the picker tool to select gray/nuetral objections in the clips for color correction

TERRIFIC. Now, I, too, have a few questions. Camera on a selfie-stick of some kind? Just the bare camera and no underwater housing? I know that you warn you about sudden immersion or heavy splashing but you had it in some turbulent water. Again, GREAT. Shooting blind or did you have it transmitting to a phone/tablet using whatever that app is called (g)

Yep, I'm using the selfie stick that I bought to use with my old DJI Osmo (original).

Yes, I'm just using the bare camera - I didn't realize there might be potential problems with sudden immersion/heavy splashing. So far using it like that in that hasn't caused me any issues - might be a good idea to get the housing though if I'm going to be using it like this going forward.

I'm shooting blind - just filming quick and dirty, though it might be fun to put the Osmo phone holder on the selfie stick so I could use the camera as a sort of periscope for underwater viewing.

Reactions: ff22 and monchan
Thanks to both of you!

For the calm water shots I filmed in 4k at 60fps, in the turbulent water shots I filmed in 1080p at 240fps - I didn't change any other settings from auto/default.

For editing I'm using Adobe Premiere - I create the video at 4k 30fps, so I slow the 4k 60fps footage down to 1/2 speed, the 1080p 240fps goes down to 1/8 speed (I also scale that up to 4K). I edit the contrast/vibrance/saturation on a per-clip basis, and I used the picker tool to select gray/nuetral objections in the clips for color correction

Yep, I'm using the selfie stick that I bought to use with my old DJI Osmo (original).

Yes, I'm just using the bare camera - I didn't realize there might be potential problems with sudden immersion/heavy splashing. So far using it like that in that hasn't caused me any issues - might be a good idea to get the housing though if I'm going to be using it like this going forward.

I'm shooting blind - just filming quick and dirty, though it might be fun to put the Osmo phone holder on the selfie stick so I could use the camera as a sort of periscope for underwater viewing.
I think the warnings were more along the lines of "careful jumping into the pool" I think the microphone/speaker ports are not truly sealed and sudden pressure could force water in??????

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryHood