Welcome to OsmoPilots.com
Join your fellow DJI Osmo users!

Hiking Heybrook Lookout and Heybrook Ridge

ff22

Reaction score
Washington Cascades outside of Index, WA. Two hikes nearby one another. Both roughly 3 miles roundtrip and both approximately 800 feet of elevation gain.

Osmo Action Camera

Last edited:
Looks like fun and a lot of work! The osmo action camera definitely works well on hikes! I was recently on a hike about a week ago when I walked 5 miles around a lake in Wisconsin but it was easier since there wasn’t much altitude change.

Reactions: ff22
Three miles doesn't sound like a lot but while it might be easy enough on a countryside walk it's a completely different story in the mountains. I know, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :)

Looks like fun and a lot of work! The osmo action camera definitely works well on hikes! I was recently on a hike about a week ago when I walked 5 miles around a lake in Wisconsin but it was easier since there wasn’t much altitude change.
Ah, Wisconsin. I went there quite often when I lived in Chicago. Hiking, climbing and cross-country skiing. In and around Devils Lake and, was it Holy Hill (where I led a eventful backpack raided by the cops!!!!)

As the raspy breathing attests - I'm getting old!

Reactions: Roslad
The most important part is having fun on the hikes and seeing nature. (And getting some cool footage with a camera!)

Ah, Wisconsin. I went there quite often when I lived in Chicago. Hiking, climbing and cross-country skiing. In and around Devils Lake and, was it Holy Hill (where I led a eventful backpack raided by the cops!!!!)

As the raspy breathing attests - I'm getting old!
I’ve been to holy hill before for a catholic trip. It was cool seeing the big, old churches but other than that I hated sitting in a big tent for 2 hours while they talked about Christian stuff. Got boring fast.

I’ve been to holy hill before for a catholic trip. It was cool seeing the big, old churches but other than that I hated sitting in a big tent for 2 hours while they talked about Christian stuff. Got boring fast.
We only camped, with their permission, on their property for a two day backpack. But the local police did not believe me. In was an interesting 4am awaking to a knock on a fabric tent!!!! "Everybody out!!" It was cold and were we in underware!!! It is still memorable and it was many, many years ago. (g) I think we were hiking the newly created Ice Age Trail - Holy Hill is a glacial kame.

We only camped, with their permission, on their property for a two day backpack. But the local police did not believe me. In was an interesting 4am awaking to a knock on a fabric tent!!!! "Everybody out!!" It was cold and were we in underware!!! It is still memorable and it was many, many years ago. (g) I think we were hiking the newly created Ice Age Trail - Holy Hill is a glacial kame.
Lol

Reactions: The Fat Contoller
Washington Cascades outside of Index, WA. Two hikes nearby one another. Both roughly 3 miles roundtrip and both approximately 800 feet of elevation gain.

Osmo Action Camera
Beautiful view! I never think of Washington as being mountainous.

Reactions: ff22
Beautiful view! I never think of Washington as being mountainous.

You must be thinking of Washington, DC (g)

Actually, this Washington has it all. The ocean, Puget Sound, mountains including 14,410 foot Mt Rainier, Mt Adams at around 12,000 feet, Mt Baker and Glacier Peak, around 10,000 feet, St Helens which blew its top, and many many others. I have been to the top of all of them. Adams twice and Mt St Helens before and after it blew. Lots of our dayhikes can gain 3,000-4,000 feet. But then beyond the Cascade Curtain (as our brethren in Eastern Washington call it) are desert areas.

Reactions: Aerial-Pixel
were you holding it or was it strapped to you?
It was '"lanyarded" to me! (g) Hand held about a foot out from my neck/body. It hangs from my neck and is enclosed in a microfiber bag and protected by a lens cap. I remove those to film. I hike with poles and had one pole in my left hand and the camera in my right. I was dragging the right pole and at about 33 seconds, you can see where the right pole gets caught between two rocks and I bobble a bit untangling it (g) Since I've been to the lookout before, I knew I wanted to capture the last few seconds approaching the first view and emerging from the woods. Still I was not seeking video perfection - just capturing my unsteady gait and the tower. Originally I posted the original sound track of my ragged breathing but re-edited, removed the breathing and substituted the music track (g)

I'm not sure how a chest rig would work. I think it would capture a lot of my arms/poles. I guess I can try it on a local hike. And a headband would probably capture a lot of ground on irregular surfaces where I'd be looking down checking footing. The lanyard keeps it relatively handy and safer. It is one I had for some device or other. IMG_20190824_0646562.jpgIMG_20190824_0646562.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0Sal