Welcome to OsmoPilots.com
Join your fellow DJI Osmo users!

Why OsmoPilots?

MrSmileyGC

Reaction score
I fairly recently purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom and it is a very capable flying camera. I am a member of MavicPilots Forum.
I liked it so much I later got an DJI Osmo Mobile 2.
I am having an evening checking emails and came across this 'OsmoPilots' forum, I see I can win an Osmo Action Camera, so here I am.
However, I researched the Osmo Action and it doesn't appear to have a RC, nor rotors, net even wings - also my DJI Osmo Mobile 2 does not appear to be designed for flight.....
So why / how has this forum been named 'OsmoPilots'? ;-)

I could be wrong but I believe DJI Is making an attempt to tap into the quickly growing market for home built fpv race and freestyle drones. Where as many pilots attach go pros to record thier flights in high definition, DJI seems to be the new competitor on the block. I still have today the dji phantom 3 standard that got me interested in quadcopters. That led to a desire to go faster and fly fpv. To which there is only one true solution, building a race/freestyle acro drone. These differ from video drones because video drones are typically flown line of sight and are not remotely capable of the high performance fast flight and acrobatic flight which can be achieved by a properly built home made drone with a proper tune and a decent pilot on the sticks. As opposed to video (cinematography) drones, fpv race drones use a lower resolution camera and analog vtx to reduce latency of fpv feed to goggles. Of course we give up gps, angle stabilization, altitude hold and they are completely manual, rate mode quad's. However when properly built the performance and speed is definitely worth the trade off. Since the analog video feed isn't always pretty for a number of reasons pilots attach go pros to record thier flights. I believe this is the commencement of dji cornering the market on this application and making gopro obsolete.

• Wow
Reactions: MrSmileyGC
If only DJI built a race drone... I know they can build a quadcopter that can comfortably do 100mph. If I can build a quadcopter that does 100mph on less than $1,000 they can do it too.

• Wow
I fairly recently purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom and it is a very capable flying camera. I am a member of MavicPilots Forum.
I am having an evening checking emails and came across this 'OsmoPilots' forum, I see I can win an Osmo Action Camera, so here I am.
However, I researched the Osmo Action and it doesn't appear to have a RC, nor rotors, net even wings - also my DJI Osmo Mobile 2 does not appear to be designed for flight.....
OsmoPilots was created by the same people that created the DronePilots Network. I am one of the Moderators of the YuneecPilots forum and fly a Yuneec Typhoon H 480. I started out first shooting on a Brownie, then 35mm SLR, beta broadcast camera, Canon XL1, Nikon DSLR, Typhoon H 480, and Osmo Mobile.

I feel that doing this is a perfect way for people like myself to be able to share what we can do with our gear. A lot of us that are pilots of other craft also own handheld gear and combine our aerial and handheld shots together. By having a forum like this, we can share our knowledge of tricks and tips used in other methods of creating footage. Small format handheld is also one of the fastest growing forms of gathering content. Piloting is also controlling the movement of something, so for all the pilots of the other forums, this is a natural.

I could be wrong but I believe DJI Is making an attempt to tap into the quickly growing market for home built fpv race and freestyle drones. Where as many pilots attach go pros to record thier flights in high definition, DJI seems to be the new competitor on the block. I still have today the dji phantom 3 standard that got me interested in quadcopters. That led to a desire to go faster and fly fpv. To which there is only one true solution, building a race/freestyle acro drone. These differ from video drones because video drones are typically flown line of sight and are not remotely capable of the high performance fast flight and acrobatic flight which can be achieved by a properly built home made drone with a proper tune and a decent pilot on the sticks. As opposed to video (cinematography) drones, fpv race drones use a lower resolution camera and analog vtx to reduce latency of fpv feed to goggles. Of course we give up gps, angle stabilization, altitude hold and they are completely manual, rate mode quad's. However when properly built the performance and speed is definitely worth the trade off. Since the analog video feed isn't always pretty for a number of reasons pilots attach go pros to record thier flights. I believe this is the commencement of dji cornering the market on this application and making gopro obsolete.
Many thanks for your reply FPV Junkie, my question was a little 'tongue in cheek', but I really appreciate your detailed reply.
You may have 'opened' a new thought process, whereby I might investigate home building fast racers...

If only DJI built a race drone... I know they can build a quadcopter that can comfortably do 100mph. If I can build a quadcopter that does 100mph on less than $1,000 they can do it too.
OsmoPilots was created by the same people that created the DronePilots Network. I am one of the Moderators of the YuneecPilots forum and fly a Yuneec Typhoon H 480. I started out first shooting on a Brownie, then 35mm SLR, beta broadcast camera, Canon XL1, Nikon DSLR, Typhoon H 480, and Osmo Mobile.

I feel that doing this is a perfect way for people like myself to be able to share what we can do with our gear. A lot of us that are pilots of other craft also own handheld gear and combine our aerial and handheld shots together. By having a forum like this, we can share our knowledge of tricks and tips used in other methods of creating footage. Small format handheld is also one of the fastest growing forms of gathering content. Piloting is also controlling the movement of something, so for all the pilots of the other forums, this is a natural.
Many thanks for your reply Murray, my question was a little bit of fun', but I really appreciate your detailed reply.
You and FPV Junkie may have 'opened' a new thought process, whereby I might investigate home building fast racers...

Reactions: Murray Martz
Many thanks for your reply Murray, my question was a little bit of fun', but I really appreciate your detailed reply.
You and FPV Junkie may have 'opened' a new thought process, whereby I might investigate home building fast racers...
I knew it was, and it was pretty funny. Thought I added a like to it but must have missed it, it's added now. You'll find that when you join a forum for a set purpose, it never ends up that way as time goes on. I try to read as many posts as I can to see what others are trying to do in a unique way. People tend to get more out of the box when they see what others try.

Who knows how many more forums they will have. I definitely think the Drone pilots forum is a great idea because now, all the people with other drones can talk to each other.

Just to keep the same theme/wording from all the other forums. PhantomPilots, MavicPilots, SparkPilots. It's easy to remember if you use any of the other forums. WELCOME!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0Sal