Welcome to OsmoPilots.com
Join your fellow DJI Osmo users!

Duck timelapse

mjbok

Reaction score
I have a duck that has decided to put its nest right under a bush under the overhang of my house. The duck will periodically leave for a bit (going to get food) and I was thinking about doing a timelapse. Obviously this presents some challenges.

1. Power - I figured I could mitigate this one of two ways. Either run a cable from an external outlet or use a battery. I have a 16000mah battery. I was wondering how long that would last.

2. Elements - It's hot as balls right now. Daily temps are always approaching 100 degrees. Will the camera simply overheat? Will a battery overheat? What about when it rains?

3. Shot selection - A timelapse of a duck sitting there doing nothing for days isn't very exciting. What time between frames should be set?

4. Should I just forget about it.

Thoughts?

I have a duck that has decided to put its nest right under a bush under the overhang of my house. The duck will periodically leave for a bit (going to get food) and I was thinking about doing a timelapse. Obviously this presents some challenges.

1. Power - I figured I could mitigate this one of two ways. Either run a cable from an external outlet or use a battery. I have a 16000mah battery. I was wondering how long that would last.

2. Elements - It's hot as balls right now. Daily temps are always approaching 100 degrees. Will the camera simply overheat? Will a battery overheat? What about when it rains?

3. Shot selection - A timelapse of a duck sitting there doing nothing for days isn't very exciting. What time between frames should be set?

4. Should I just forget about it.

Thoughts?

It MIGHT be an interesting subject or NOT! (g)

What is the capacity of the native battery and how does that compare with the power bank? The cord sounds more practical - unlimited. But you'd have to protect the camera from rain with some overhead shield or umbrella since the charging port would be opened - or some rubber cement or silicon glue to seal the port that would peel off afterward.

I've read about the camera shutting down in extreme heat but I'd think that if the interval is long enough, it should not get too hot operating other than ambient temps. I'm glad I don't live there, wherever there is! I use to visit family in Tucson but I generally stopped going in Summer. I do recall one April visit to the Grand Canyon - about 100F at the river and then 18F at the rim two days later - EXTREMES!!!

The action has a 1300 mah battery. My battery packs are over ten times that. I don't know what the battery life in timelapse is, but for video it is less than an hour in real world conditions. Extreme heat will lessen that even more.

The ambient temps are my concern, not the heat of the camera itself. This is central Ohio so you would think it wouldn't be a problem. However it has been brutal for a bit.

I would do it when she is away (the setup), but she's living rent free in my yard...

Reactions: ff22

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0Sal